A funny little stop on the Eastern Coastal Road on the way between Flacq and Maheboug, Devils Point or La Pointe au Diable is a perfect spot to stop, stretch the legs and enjoy the views over the bay of Grand Port.
It is a reminder of the naval battles that raged between the French and the British in the early 19th century around the area. It was an artillery location with anti-ship cannons and fortifications. This was created by the French to fight off the British enemy. The cannons and fortifications can both still be seen. There used to be 27 such cannons guarding the entrance to the bays.
The point was used by the French during the Naval battle of Grand Port in August 1810. It is here the French won their only naval battle against the British in Napoleon’s time. But the British still won over Isle de France 3 months later and changed the name to Mauritius.
The battle also appears on l’Arc de Triomphe in Paris.
Famous monument in Paris, the Arc de Triomphe, was initiated by Napoleon. After the great battle of Austerlitz (dec. 1805) he promised his soldiers that there would be a place to commemorate all their great battles. And thus in 1806 he took the decision to have it built. It wasn’t finished before 1836 though, under the King Louis Philippe.
As often in Mauritius along the way, in a little corner. You find a little shrine to Virgin Maria.